Knee braces are a type of support that is worn when you have pain in your knees due to some injury or swelling. Or, if you are like me, you may even use a knee brace just as protection while doing any rigorous sports which require sliding or tackling. These knee braces provide a slow and limited movement allowing your knee to recover. These knee braces are made up of a combination of metal, foam, plastic, elastic material, and straps. Previously, they didn’t come in various sizes or shapes but now, as companies have progressed and their demand has been increased, knee braces have different colors, sizes, and designs to choose from.
Different types of knee braces!
These days, there are a number of knee braces available in the market and we will tell you about them one by one. Read the following:
The prime function of Functional Knee braces is to give support (well, all knee braces have the same function). They are usually worn after a major injury to aid in recovery. They stabilize your motion of the knee braces to prevent any other damage to that area.
Rehabilitative Braces are those braces that are worn by people for a certain period after they have gone through some surgery. They will keep the knee stable allowing only little movement so that your knee has proper time to heal and become normal as before. Unfortunately, no doctor has seen any great benefit with their use so nobody recommends them usually.
These are made for special cases of arthritis. Arthritis is the inflammation of joints. These Unloader braces are designed in a special way that weight which you apply on your damaged area to the strong area so that that area can be healed and recovered.
These are another type of braces that are worn by athletes. They serve as a protection gear from injuries during contact sports such as soccer and football. However, research has been done on them proving that they are not effective but still they are quite popular with athletes and sportsmen.
These are different types of supports that should be called, technically braces. They are designed in such a way to provide compression around the knee joint which not only serves as a support but also controls pain and swelling.
Moreover, although we know different types of knee braces now, we have to learn to measure the size of our knee brace which suits us.
Why knee wraps are mandatory?
Now, you might be thinking how does it do? These knee wraps help to prevent knee inflammation not only in the joints but also in nearby ligaments and muscles.
So you should recognize that knee sleeves are everyday worn material. These compression sleeves are made out of the most comfortable material known as neoprene. This material is skin-friendly and does not cause chafing, scratching itching, or any kind of bruises. So you can every day without getting any harm or doing any damage to your knee. But is there any ideal time-length for wearing this contraption?
According to the doctor’s recommendations, wrapping our knees helps to fight pain. They are usually worn due to injuries or swelling in our knee which we can encounter anywhere especially during or playing sports.
First of all, you might be wondering why I should need to wear something to wrap my knee. Well, the answer to this is quite simple. The most amazing thing to know about this is that these knee wrap can be done by anyone and is inexpensive and can be the best therapy during minor injuries. They can effectively vanish all your pain and swelling!
How to measure knee brace size?
First, arrange a measuring tape that is flexible and then follow these simple steps and you are good to go!
- Find someone near you to help you with this procedure. Having someone to assist allows you to make the perfect size calculation.
- Now make sure that you are standing up with straight legs. However, if you are on your own, then sit on a chair and stretch your leg so that it becomes straight.
- The third step is to ask someone or you can do it on your own and take a measuring tape. Start measuring with tape from a point that is 6 inches down below your middle of the kneecap. We will call this point A.
- After finding that point A, measure all the way around that point and note down the reading.
- Now repeat the same by measuring 6 inches above the center of the knee cap. Mark that point B.
- Again, measure all-around point B using your measuring tape and note down the reading.
- Lastly, look for the size chart of the brace’s company you are going to order.
We know you might have thought that choosing a knee brace was as simple as going to a pharmacy or store and asking for one. Well, this can be true to some extent but you should always be careful with purchasing the right type of brace and having the right measurements and dimensions. You would have to take it off occasionally to make your skin feel the cool air and breathe. However, it is best to consult your therapist who will let you know the perfect time for you.
So If I recapitulate, you must know the right method to measure the size and you should even have the right tools to do the measurements. Moreover, if you want something aesthetic, you can even choose the design and style for your knee brace and purchase or order that. On the other hand, if you live in a hot area, in warm weather, wearing a knee compression sleeve may make you feel uncomfortable.
Note: Every brand might have its own size chart so look into the one which you will be buying the brace from.
Whenever you are hurt, your first thing to do is to tell your doctor what you feel and let him do x-rays or anything which he needs to treat you properly. It will save you from long-term injuries or disabilities.
Just for knowledge: You center of the knee brace is called Patella. It should have been the first thing on your list. Always pay a visit to your doctor and let him diagnose you and decide what is better for you.
Some helpful tips:
- First of all, never hesitate from asking for help from someone else. This will provide you with accurate measuring.
- Secondly, it is better to take these measurements while standing. These measurements are often accurate.
- If you are a fan of a little looser knee brace, just add an inch to your measurement.
- Look for braces that are machine washable so that you can easily wash them and reuse them.
- Ace bandages can be a great alternative but they may be useless in some scenarios. We would suggest that you may consult with your doctors while choosing the brace or bandage for your knee.
- Lastly, know what type of knee brace you may need and have measurements according to that.
Last few words by us:
Lastly, always consult a profession or medical advisor before going to buy something or before even thinking of treating yourself on your own. Proper diagnosis can save you from costly surgeries and can even save you from permanent disabilities. So always rely on informed orthopedists when you are going through recovery and rehabilitation.
Lastly, whether you want to just support your knee or want to protect it while doing sports or you have been recommended by your doctor to wear a brace after surgery to heal your knee, right size and a right type knee brace are the best options to choose for. Choose appropriately and heal quickly! Protecting our knees from injuries is the way to enjoy your life and live and walk more and have fun!
Our site deepreviewer.com provides you quality reviews of all products of all niches worldwide.